International Park Football to Nigerian Prophets



Well what a week its been, It started last Sunday with a visit to the home of Western Suburbs, Endeavour Park, for an International friendly between Panama U20 and Uzbekistan U20. It felt quite surreal watching an international fixture on what is basically a public park. The game was entertaining and ended up 2-2, although I though Panama should have edged it.

Fidel Escobar of Panama taking a free kick at Western Suburbs Endeavour Park


I was going to do a mid week post on the upcoming U20 world cup but then heard the Podcast The Kids Are All White, from the Yellowfever guys and between them and the preview work that the NZ Herald has done it pretty much covered what I was going to do. And then there were the FIFA arrests and I ended up reading all about those instead of writing anything.

Then came Saturday and the U20 World Cup kicked off. I went to the pub to watch NZ struggle to a 0-0 draw with the Ukraine, then headed over to the Wellington Regional Stadium, which is usually known as Westpac Stadium but as they aren't one of FIFA's sponsors the Westpac branding has been removed for the World Cup.
Argentina Fans

First game of the night was tournament favourites, Argentina against Panama. I thought Argentina were the better team and you can see why they are the favourites. They would be kicking themselves that they didn't win. 
Although there wasn't much they could have done about Panama's 1st goal - a 25 yard thunderbolt into the top corner from Rodriguez was stunning.

The next game Ghana v Austria, wasn't as good but still enjoyable. I put some money on Ghana to win the tournament (at $26), I did this because of 6 previous finals appearances they have got to the Semi Finals in 5 of them and their coach, Sellas Tetteh, won the title in 2009. Although he did claim prophetic insights from Nigerian prophet TB Joshua helped him guide the team to success. On this performance I'm not sure TB Joshua or Tetteh will help me get a return on my investment!
Austria and Ghana about to kick off - No Nigerian Prophets to be seen





Comments