ASB Premiership Journey - Part 2

Auckland City v Team Wellington
ASB Premiership Final
Auckland City 2 Team Wellington 4
QBE Stadium, Auckland
Thursday 11th March 2016
ATT : 1580

So after the semi-final on Sunday I made it to Auckland for the Final. I assume it was on at the odd time of a Thursday night due to Sky's TV coverage, still 1580 turned up which is about 10 times the crowd QBE got for games during the season.

I had been offered a Media pass for this game, but figured there would be plenty of proper photographers covering the game so turned it down.

I still managed to end up with a VIP pass though, but I only used this to go upstairs at halftime to get a free drink and a prawn sandwich. The rest of the game I was sat in front of Auckland City's 248 crew, who were fantastic. I've been to many games around the world and been in plenty of great crowds but what impressed me most about the 248 crew is they just didn't stop, even after the final whistle when they had lost they were still going. They also had some pretty good songs and I doubt there are many teams in the world that have a fans song dedicated to the kit man's legs! (Arthur Egan's legs are a dream apparently) 

The 248 Crew
So when your team loses (especially when they weren't expected too) you analyze all sorts, did I jinx it by stating earlier in the week it should be a cracker of a game? Maybe it was meeting the barman at the Merchant and discovering that he was the son of Ron Armstrong and telling him that if Auckland City won today it would break Mt Wellington's (and Christchurch United's) record of 6 Championships. Maybe it was Rob the commander saying to me with 7 minutes to go “just a few minutes and we've got it, should be ok” (just before Daewoo Kim tripped Ben Harris to give Team Wellington a penalty). Maybe it was because Auckland City had only lost 2 games in the last 2 years and didn't seem to know how to come back from being down or maybe (and most likely) it was Team Wellington that wanted it more and deserved their win.

The Beer League


In the beer league, I'm not sure if there was a direct correlation but the 2 bottom placed teams in the football league were the 2 top placed teams in my beer league! Wellington Phoenix winning by 3 points from Southern United. It was then pretty close with 4 points seperating Auckland City, WaiBOP United, Team Wellington & Canterbury United. Hawke's Bay United and Waitakere United filled the bottom 2 spots. Waitakere United could probably be considered the unluckiest as many of beers were great they just happened to come up against beers that were slightly better.

The best beer? A very difficult question but the best,(or my favourite at the moment) goes to Panhead's Johnny Octane Red IPA


Next season Tasman United will be in the league and they have about 15 breweries down there, but I think I'll save my money for an away trip or 2 rather than do a beer league again!

Comments

  1. Nice Dave! I regret not going now, for the sole reason that it would have been great to meet you. I'm sure there will be a next time. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment