Team Wellington 7 Waitakere United 2
Stirling Sports Premiership
Sunday 12th February, 2017
David Farrington Park, Wellington
ATT : around 200

Zambrano &  Jackson celebrate with Moretti after the 6th goal The JourneyFan
WOW! just WOW - It's games like these that you go to the football for!

It was a big game, Team Wellington, current champions and sitting 2nd in the league going into the game, up against 5 time champions and the team sitting in 1st, Waitakere United. Team Wellington have a pretty poor record against Waitakere United, having only won 8 of the previous 35 meetings between the clubs, although they had won the last 3 in a row.

Writing about football it is easy to slip into cliche's and you try to avoid doing that, but this game was really a text book example of a game of 2 half's!

It started at a frantic pace and Team Wellington almost got the ball in the net in the 1st minute but the shoot sailed across the goal. From then on, the rest of the half was all Waitakere United. Keegan Linderboom got his 2nd goal in as many weeks, before captain Jake Butler made to 2-0 with only 20 minutes gone. Waitakere United were in charge, they were bossing the game, dictating the pace and looking like a very well organised unit more than capable of winning the league. Team Wellington didn't look like scoring at all, unless it was something spectacular and on the half hour mark, Leo Villa provided just that with a claim for goal of the season, a screaming volley from 25 meters out. But still Waitakere United went into the half time break deservedly 2-1 up and looking the more likely to win.

Now only the coaches and Team Wellington players will know what coach Jose Figueira said at half time, but whatever it was, along with a tactical change, it obviously worked.

After a couple of half chances in the first few minutes of the half, Ben Harris bundled the ball over the line for a controversial goal. Waitakere United's German keeper Pirmin Strasser felt he was fouled, but his protests to the referee just earned him a yellow card - here's what happened

Harris & Strasser compete for the ball The JourneyFan
Strasser fails to hold the ball The JourneyFan
Harris controls the ball The JourneyFan
Harris turns despite Strasser's attention The JourneyFan
and it's a goal Leo Villa celebrates Harris' goal The JourneyFan

4 minutes later, Team Wellington were in the lead when Ben Harris scored from the spot. 
2 minutes after that Harris celebrated his birthday by completing a hat-trick when he chipped Strasser from an acute angle.

Leading scorer Tom Jackson was itching to get in on the action and in the 55th minute he latched onto an Andy Bevin cross and put the ball into the back of the net to make it 5-2. In the 80th minute, as Leo Villa trotted over to take a corner he barked out some instructions in Spanish and from the following well practiced short corner he found the head of Guillermo Moretti to nodded it home. Team Wellington weren't finished yet though, in the 85th minute Nicholas Zambrano broke into the penalty area and beat Waitakere United's Strasser in a 1 on 1 to make it 7-2 and inflict Waitakere United's biggest ever loss and cap an amazing comeback from Team Wellington

Team Wellington fans (including Niko Kirwan's Dad) looking satisfied with a 7-2 win The JourneyFan